Glad that you make it to understand the latest RV facts, figures, and other important statists.
The Recreational vehicle market was estimated at $31 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow with a 7% CAGR ($48 billion) by 2026.
A Recreational vehicle, also known as RV, is considered a lifestyle activity. It gives freedom to travel and is often 20-60% cheaper than a traditional holiday, adding more value.
Usually, on weekends or holidays, people pack their essentials and go camping with their family or loved ones. This Vehicle category includes Motorhomes, Campervans, Coaches, Caravans, Fifth wheel coupling, Popup campers and Truck campers.
Well, the journey matters in the end. Below, I’ve covered RV things that you should know.
List of RV Facts
- The average RV lifespan is around 20 years or 200,000 miles.
- China is the 2nd largest destination RV market after the USA.
- Over 47 RV manufacturers globally, and 90% are in the United States.
- The average RV owner is 48 years old. Here, 30% of them work remote or are retired. Over 98% are married, own a home, and have an average income of $68,000.
- Summer is the peak time for camping.
- Over 40 million Americans go camping at least once a year.
- The average camping destination is 190 miles.
- Thanks to the latest features and modern machines, RV maintenance & ownership has increased 60% since 1990.
- There are 16,000+ private and public camping sites in America.
- First Recreational vehicles were horse-driven.
- The first engine-powered or motorised Recreational vehicle was built in 1910.
- The first known 5th Wheel RV was Auto Salon Deluxe, built by Auto-Mixte Pescatore in 1913.
- The 1st steam-engine driven motorhome was the Quo Vadis in 1900.
- The first gasoline-powered Motorhome was Passe Partout in 1902.
- The Tin Can Tourists was 1st US RV club, which was formed in 1919.
- Early motorhomes were also used as carriers or good tucks.
- Wally Byam Airstream travel trailer was the only survivor of pre-WW2 US RV manufacturers.
- Over 94% of all RVers travel with at least 2-7 adults.
- An average RV owner spends 28 to 35 days/year using their RV.
- 50% of Camper owners pick nearby state parks for camping rather than going to other cities.
- RVing vacation is one of the most popular outside activities in Europe, the USA & Australia.
- RVers got beds, electricity, water, and dinette features in 1930.
- There are approximately 60,000 employees associated with the RV industry.
- 40% RVers have children under the age of 18.
- The average cost of an RV hovers around $45,000, whereas a high-end RV & 5th wheel can start at $75,000.
- With $3 million, Marchi Mobile EleMMent Palazzo is the world’s most expensive RV.
- 90% RVers prefer remote work.
- Rather than buying an RV, many users also opt to rent an RV.
- According to RVIA, Texas is getting more RVs shipped than California, Florida, Ohio & Michigan.
- Ford & VW are two major car manufacturers which are also manufacturing RVs.
- Airstream is the oldest RV company in the world.
- With over 359,591 RVs shipped in 2021, Towable RVs are the most popular among buyers.
- Indiana has the most RV sales in the world.
- Indiana is the largest RV manufacturer in the United States.
- There are different RV models for disabled persons.
- According to RV Industry Association, there are 8.2 million household RV owners.
- Approximately 4.5 million RVers are full-timers.
- There are over 30k private & public Holding tank dump stations for RVers in USA & Canada.
- The RV industry is one of the major contributors to the US economy. As of the latest, it pushed $114 billion in 2018.
- The WOF Iridium was the first fully electric Motorhome unveiled in 2019. It has a full running range of 400 kilometres.
- On average, a 40-ft Class A RV gives a fuel efficiency between 7 to 13 mpg and Class C is good to provide within a range of 14-18 mpg. Another hand, a Class B RV provides the best gas mileage of up to 25 mpg.
- Furrion, a luxury RV maker, showed an RV concept with a helipad and rooftop hot tub.
- The Canadian RV industry generated over $7 billion per year.
- Over 300 industries/manufacturers, distributors and suppliers of RV parts globally. Over 23,000 businesses are involved in the RV industry.
- With 6.9% of the market, Jayco Jay Flight was the best-selling travel trailer in 2018.
- Florida is one of the most popular camping cities for full-time RVers.
- The cost of full-time RV living comes between $1400 to $3000 a month.
- Motorhome ownership has highest among householders in the age group of 55 to 64.
- Folding camping trailers are most popular among your consumer group – 35-44 and has the highest ownership rates with 2.9%.
Electrical distribution and lighting equipment are major causes of RV fire and deaths.
- Yellowstone National Park (Wyoming), Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona), and Redwood National Park (California) are one of the best parks for camping in the USA.
- 10% of the population under 35 age group in the USA uses a Recreational vehicle once a year.
- The camping trend is the highest in the last 5 years. Below is the breakdown of RV ownership in America by age group.
|Age Group||Ownership Percentage|
- RV rental costs between $81 to $129/night for all towable RVs and a little high approx. $209/night for a variety of drivable RVs.
- There are over 10 Million posts & captions related to RV on Instagram.
Wally Byam, founder of Airstream, built his first travel trailer in 1929.
- Vanspace 3D is the only paid and best RV design software in the market.
What’s the full form of RV?
An RV is also known as a Recreational Vehicle. It is a motorised or towable vehicle with different features to enjoy camping away from home.
Who is the oldest RV manufacturer?
Started in the 1920s, Airstream has been the oldest and most trusted RV brand Globally.
Who invented the Winnebago?
John K. Hanson founded Winnebago Industries.
Who invented RV slides?
Mahlon Miler from Newmar Corporation discovered the slider feature in RVs. He is also known as the “Father of Power Slide Outs” and is considered an influential person in the RV industry.
What is the lifespan of an RV?
Depending on the maintenance and running condition, an average RV stays around 20 years or 200,000 miles.
What’s the other name of a Motorhome?
RV is the universal and most common name for Motorhome.
Which state has the most RV sales?
With $6.8 billion in total sales, Indiana covers most RV sales globally.
How many people in the US own an RV?
Over 11 million US households own an RV, and numbers are growing yearly.
Hi, I am a Marketing professional with expertise in SEO. I help Organizations/Startups in Structural, Design and Content Marketing to become online entities. I love blogging, mainly about automobiles, travel trailers & everything related to wheels. With the help of Thorttlebias, I want to educate and share in-depth articles/tips for other RVers. Outside of work, I love to read & play with my Rottweiler. Guess what! We can be friends, below are my social profiles.